Monday, June 20, 2011

On the Hunt: Thrift Stores

   Since I've spent the weekend working on projects that haven't finished up yet and will be revealing throughout the week I figured I'd repost this since I put it up before I bothered to tell anyone about this little project. Enjoy!

   One of the great things about getting Thrifty with it is- dun dun dun...The Hunt!
   One of my favorite hunting grounds is your local thrift store. There are thousands of these fine establishments all across the US and a quick internet search should give you at least a few in your area to choose from. They range from privately owned, to church owned, to big charity ones like the Salvation Army or the Goodwill.
    Some people don't like to give their patronage to a church or religiously affiliated establishment if they wouldn't feel comfortable giving that same organization a cash donation. Personally I at least give these places a browse through because I love the irony of using something that I paid them pittance for to make a beautiful magical object (but then I can be a witch that way).
      The first thing I would do is check my Thrifting Journal (the link to that post is HERE) and my current list of projects so that I know what I've currently got going.  Keeping track of what is already on your plate can help you judge how much room is left for new projects or if you need more supplies for current projects.
       The second thing I would do is set myself a limit. And I don't just mean a monetary one. Once you open up that inner eye to see all of what is available it is really hard not to want to scoop everything up and get started on pixie dusting it into witchy perfection right away. I have to constantly look not just at what money I have available but what time and space I have as well. It's ok to indulge if you see a great deal on an item for a project you have in mind to do later, but make sure that you have the space to store the item without making it clutter and then make sure to put it on the list of projects in your Thrifting Journal so it doesn't get put up and forgotten.
      With those two things done it's time to get out there and indulge in the thrill of the hunt.
      Open up that inner eye(the link for that post is HERE) and let your imagination run. Prowl through the aisles, dig through the bargain bins, and claim the prize that grabs your intuition. Don't plan a route through the store, just wander letting whatever catches your attention pull you. Just keep in mind that these items have lived with people before and can carry some of their energy. Listen to your intuition. If something seems wrong or 'off' about an item you might want to leave it behind no matter how perfect it seems for your project. I also suggest doing a cleansing of any object purchased second hand whether it feels like it needs it or not. Just like you would strip of that hideous paint, it is always best to start with a blank psychic/spiritual slate.
      Get out there and find that diamond in the rough*!


*Cave of wonders and hunky street rat with great hair not included

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping us a comment! Feel free to post or link to your own creative Witchy Thrifting projects!